Monday, August 24, 2009

Only One Voice, Please!

My family and I went to Louisville, KY this summer for the annual Southern Baptist Convention. I had never been to Louisville, so I took Sammie along with me. Sammie is my GPS, and she is wonderful! She always knows where she is going - unlike me! While I have a pretty good sense of direction, honed by my many years of roaming the backroads of rural Missouri in my youth, I do occasionally get turned around and lose my sense of direction.
Just before going to Louisville, I bought my son a GPS for his car. He has to travel through Chicago to come home and we thought it would help him if he had a GPS to guide him. He brought it with him to Louisville so he could read the book and figure out how it works..
On the first day in Louisville, we had a steady rain coming down. We decided to check out the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, so we told Sammie where we were going and away we went.
As I said, it was raining right down, and I was driving in a strange town. The streets were all crooked, sometimes with 5 streets coming together in an intersection. I was trying to see the road through the rain, watch out for traffic, and keep an eye on Sammie all at the same time. Suddenly, I heard my son's GPS talking from the back seat. Sammie was talking from my dash, and I was unable to get my bearings. Finally, I yelled back to my son to shut his GPS off, because I only needed one voice giving me directions.
It was amazing! With only one voice directing me, we made to the Seminary without any further problems! I think there is a lesson for us here.
We should be listening to just one voice in our lives, the voice of the Holy Spirit. If we follow that voice, we will make it to our destination much easier than if we listen to other voices. While God never promises the journey will be easy, and He warned we will experience trials and tribulations on the journey, He gives us a promise - "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."
When we start listening to other voices, we will get off the track, and find ourselves in troubles that God never intended for us to find. We need to listen to one voice, and one voice only - the Holy Spirit. He will keep us on that straight and narrow path that will safely lead us home to heaven. Any trials we encounter while we are on the narrow path are for our own good. All other problems are self-inflicted. Listen to only God's voice; it is the voice of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment