Thursday, August 20, 2009

Living By The Book

I was watching a video on YouTube a while back where a policeman was talking about how he arrests suspects. Of course he needs a reason to initially pull them over in most instances. He noted that he simply follows them for a short while. Then he dropped the bomb - he said it is impossible for anyone to drive for more than a few minutes without breaking some traffic law. He simply has to be patient, and he will have his opportunity.

Wow! I like to think I am a pretty good driver. I haven't had a ticket in over 29 years. The only accidents (since High School) were either caused by someone else or were in extreme weather conditions. We have extreme weather in the North! And yet, I know I don't follow the law 100% of the time. I drive in a way that is very predictable, and normal, but not necessarily by the letter of the law.

Sometimes I drive a little faster than the speed limit. Oh, I keep it in the 5 - 7 mph range, but I do drive over the speed limit at times. I also don't come to a full stop at stop signs every time. I have the American habit of rolling slowly up to the sign, then going. So I know I am guilty of these minor infractions. Based upon my history though, I must be better than average. That must count for something!

BUT if a policeman wanted to give me a ticket, it wouldn't take long before he had the opportunity. And no judge would look at all the times I had driven right and excuse this wrong. I am guilty.

Why do we assume it is different with God? He set up some pretty tough rules to follow. And if we are honest with ourselves, we have to admit that we break those rules more frequently than we care to imagine.

Some of us try to excuse our sins by saying we were born with a predilection towards certain sins. So, if God made us that way, then He must want us that way - right? The answer is - NO! God did not make us that way. He made Adam and Eve with the ability to choose to follow Him or not. They chose "not." That sinful desire has been passed down from generation to generation ever since. No, God did not make us with a desire to sin - we come by it quite naturally from following the example of our father, Adam.

I hate to tell you this, but it is too late for you to make Adam's other choice - to be fully obedient. The Bible tells us "All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." Our only hope is to accept the loving sacrifice Jesus paid for our sins and trust Him fully. He gives us His Spirit at that time to transform our sinful nature into righteousness. Our hope doesn't come by "living by the Book." Our hope comes in Jesus and Him alone.

If you haven't already done so, pray now to God and confess your need for His Son's sacrifice. And tell God that you will trust His ways in this life instead of your ways. Ask Him to help you in that transformation process. The Bible calls this being "born again," because our old nature is then put to death on the cross and we receive Jesus' nature by His Spirit. It is the most glorious and exciting decision you will ever make!

No comments:

Post a Comment