Sunday, October 11, 2009

Kids Say The Darndest Things


When I was (much) younger, Art Linkletter had a TV show, "Kids Say The Darndest Things."  If you remember, Mr. Linkletter would sit down with some children and ask them questions.  Their unexpected answers provided plenty of laughs!  I felt like Art Linkletter this morning.

I set aside a time during the worship hour every week for a children's message.  The kids come to the front of the church with me, we sit on the steps leading up to the pulpit, and we chat about a topic.  I brought in my annual yearbook from my senior year in high school this morning.  I had covered the names of all the guys on the pages that opened to my picture.  I asked the kids to find my picture.

Little Miss Honesty pointed to my picture right away.  Now, I want you to understand that I have changed more than a little bit in 32 years.  I used to have hair, now I don't have so much.  I used to wear glasses, now I wear contacts.  I used to be skinny, now I am ... well, not skinny.  I was shocked to see her get it right on the first try!  I fully expected them to spend more than a second looking at the pictures.  Foolishly, I asked Little Miss Honesty how she knew it was me.  She quickly replied, "I picked the nerdiest one!"  I shouldn't have asked!

Hebrews 13:8 says, "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever."  I am not the same today that I was yesterday, and I know I will continue to change throughout my life.  I look different and I have different likes and dislikes.  My opinions on various issues have changed.  I am much different than I was.  But it is comforting to know that Jesus has not changed.  When we read what Jesus said in the Bible, we know that He still believes what He said then.  The rules He set forth then are still in effect now.  The love He showed people then, He still shows us now.  We know He still loves us and His death on the cross paved the way for us to be with Him in heaven.  Praise the Lord, He is still the same Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment