Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pigskin Designs


Mr. Youngster and I have been enjoying the unseasonably warm (for Minnesota) November temperatures by tossing the pigskin around.  Football is really not my sport - I love baseball.  I love the pop of a baseball when it hits the glove.  I love the crack of the bat.  The baseball was made to be thrown.  Even a young child can throw a baseball with pretty good accuracy. 

Whoever designed the football was a sadist.  I know it can be thrown accurately for long distances - I have seen it happen on TV.  But the football was not designed to be thrown.  It's shape is all wrong for throwing.  I think it was designed to bounce erratically on the ground to drive the players nuts.  When I throw the football, I don't get a nice, tight spiral.  I can usually hit Mr. Youngster at the numbers, but it rarely is going to have a nice spiral.  More often than not it resembles a wounded duck.

Mr. Youngster, on the other hand, can throw the football with a spiral most of the time.  However, he is sadly confused.  He apparently thinks I walk on my hands, because his tosses always come right at my feet!  It doesn't matter if he is standing close to me or 30 yards away, it always comes right to my feet.  I am now nursing a sore pinky finger on my right hand because I tried to reach down and catch one of his passes.  It hit the ground and took a typical football bounce (who knows where it is going) and jammed my pinky finger.


We often question the design of many items we buy; we have all experienced the frustration of poorly designed products.  I have spent hundreds of dollars fixing cars that were poorly designed.  I have thrown away toys days after Christmas because they couldn't stand up to child's play.  But God's designs are perfect in every case.  As we look through the creation story at the beginning of Genesis, we repeatedly read the phrase "it was good."  When He created Adam and Eve, the phrase changed to "it was very good."  While we may not like certain features of our bodies, God made us so we must be "very good."  We don't have to look like a Hollywood movie star to be a star in God's eyes.  We just need to use the talents and gifts He gave us to fulfill the purpose He designed us for and we will be perfectly satisfied with our lives.

1 comment:

  1. Mr Youngster needs to come play ball with Evan. You and Jim can nurse your sore fingers together. Jim did something to his finger about a month ago in a football game. It still isn't right, but we hesitate to pay hundreds of dollars to have his pinkie finger fixed! Last night he and Evan were playing catch with the cursed football and he split a fingernail below the quick.

    ReplyDelete